Guest Post: Why is my skin going berserk? By Claudia Moriel / Beauty and makeup expert
We are so thrilled to bring you this post by our Guest Glossist, Claudia Moriel. Claudia has worked with gloss48 for months and we can always count on her to be completely upfront about what we can and cannot expect from skincare and makeup products. See Claudia’s past gloss48 videos on LAQA nail pens, Dr. Hauschka skincare, and Dr. Hauschka makeup.
We asked Claudia to help us deal with the inevitable changes in our skin as the seasons shift. Here she provides a very thorough guide to skin prep by season and by skin type. Enjoy!
We all know what happens this time of year.
The leaves start to fall, the air gets a little chillier and begins to dry out.
It’s inevitable when the fall starts to settle in my lips start to get dry. . . .
Pause for beauty faves
and my skin starts to get utterly confused. It happens every year like clockwork with the change of the seasons. I used to work at MAC and thought that they would get us to tell our customer to change foundations because they wanted our customers to spend more. Now that I’m experiencing it first hand (because I’m spending more time out doors) I believe these tall tails of the talc and beauty world.
I’m not one to wear SPF – sorry makeup gurus around the world – I just don’t like it. That’s me and if you need to wear it and want to by all means please do, this is just me. This year I got back into long distance running. By the end of May I noticed that my foundation wasn’t looking quite right any more hmmmm then I saw the tank top tan lines and thought cool! I have a runners tan. Which meant I really did have to change up the color of my foundation. Before this I wasn’t one to spend much time in the sun so that’s why I didn’t believe in changing the color of my foundation or skin care routine. I also noticed my skin was a bit oiler and acne prone from all the running and sweating. So I went from using a Stila tinted moisturizer back to my old MAC Studio Stick Foundation, which they soooooo soooo soo sadly don’t make any more.
But just as soon as my tan appeared it also disappeared. I know the weather has been very nice in September but I have found myself running in long sleeves again. The last time I put on my MAC NC 35 I could see a clear distinction between my jaw line and neck . . . fatal makeup mistake! So I’m back to my beloved Kett Fixx Cream! Yes I am a makeup junkie and do have about 5 different types of foundation.
So the moral of the story is yes you should probably change your foundation and skin care with the seasons!
Tip and Products
Summer/Spring – Oily Combo
- Cleanser – Shamanuti Activated Charcoal Cleanser – It’s my absolute new favorite cleanser for combo to oily skin!
- Toner – Dr. Hauschka Clarifying Toner – I haven’t used anything but this in over 5 yrs!
- Moisturizer – Dr. Hauschka Melissa Day Cream – they just came out with it this year and it’s fabulous for combination skin
- Stila – One Step Correct – I love this primer I feel it has great sticking power and color corrects all at once.
- Smashbox – Photo Finish Foundation Primer in Light – This is my tried and true primer and the light version is oil free
- Makeup for Ever – HD Microprefecting Primer – I feel this one is light and also has good sticking power
- NARS – Sheer Matte Foundation – One of my preferred foundations . . . a friend of mine who is a model swears by it!
- MAC – Pro Long Wear – Although this one is a bit heavier than what I like to wear in the summer it has good sticking power in the humidity
- Urban Decay – Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup – I don’t like anything too heavy on my skin and this one feels light but has good coverage.
Winter/Fall – Oily Combo
- Cleanser – Shamanuti Activated Charcoal Cleanser – I can still use this in the cooler drier months I just can’t live with out how clean it leaves my pores
- Toner – Dr. Hauschka Clarifying Toner – I haven’t used anything but this in over 5 yrs! No matter what the season
- Moisturizer – Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream Light – As I begin to move from my late 30’s to my early 40’s my skin is finally getting a bit drier so I do switch up to this slightly more emollient cream. I have noticed that because Dr. Hauschka uses such clean ingredients even thought the cream is richer it doesn’t clog my pores.
- Temptu Pro – S/B Primer – I move away from the lighter Makeup for Ever formula into my absolute fave Temptu primer
- Smashbox – Photo Finish Foundation Primer – I tend to move away from the oil free primers at this point of the season
- Stila – One Step Correct – And when I feel dull or pale I love how even this leaves my skin
- Kett Fixx Cream – I get so excited when I can revert back to my Kett! I put it on hap haphazardly and then spray my face with MAC Fix+ and spread it smooth with a brush.
- Armani – Luminous Silk Foundation – Again I get excited when I get to spread this luxurious foundation on!
- NARS – Sheer Glow Foundation – I switch it up from the Matte to Glow here
Summer/Spring – Normal to Dry
- Cleanse – Pristine Beauty Locks of Fame Shampoo – Blaire who created the product has some GREAT YouTube videos. In one these she explains that you can use her shampoo as a facial cleanser! I did and loved it. Locks of Fame smells amazing and has some calming ingredients like calendula and rose hip seed.
- Toner – Dr. Hauschka Facial Toner – This is less balancing and drying than the Clarifying Toner
- Moisturizer – Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream Light or Quince Day Cream
- Stila – One Step Correct – This primer has enough hydration for dryer skin types
- Smashbox – Photo Finish Foundation Primer or the Hydrating version (it’s blue) – Still tried and true
- Temptu Pro – S/B Primer – This primer is amazing! It’s silicone based so it smoothes out any dry skin and leaves the skin looking supple. It also has great sticking power!
- Kett – Fixx Creme Foundation – This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE foundation!!! I must repeat this is my ALL TIME FAVORITE foundation. I have never found anything better. Photographers have stopped me to ask what I used when I was done.
- Armani – Luminous Silk Foundation – Is a tight runner up for my all time favorite. It’s just as beautiful and also photographs amazing.
- NARS – Sheer Glow Foundation – What can I say they make a great product.
Winter Fall – Normal to Dry
- Cleanse – Pristine Beauty Locks of Fame Shampoo – I tend to like a sudsy cleanser so I stick with this.
- Toner – Dr. Hauschka Facial Toner – Their toners are like tinctures and prepare your skin for hydration.
- Moisturizer – Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream Light or Rose Day Cream
Rose Day Cream is very thick so I only recommend it for people with very dry skin.
- Temptu Pro – S/B Primer – This becomes my #1 pick for the winter!
- Stila – Stay All Day 10-in-1 HD Beauty Balm – I really like the texture of their products; they are silky and smooth.
- Smashbox – Photo Finish Foundation Primer or the Hydrating version (its blue) – Can’t go wrong with the company who started the trend of priming.
- Kett – Fixx Creme Foundation – This foundation combined with the Temptu Pro S/B primer is a home run!
- Armani – Luminous Silk Foundation – This still works for me.
- Laura Mercier – Silk Cream Foundation – It has a lighter coverage so I like to keep some of her foundations and tinted moisturizers around for those day I don’t want to wear to much.